CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 2, 2009

Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup

Hey, bloggies!

Sorry I've been MIA. It's been a craaaazy week!


My (new) roommate tore her ACL and partially ruptured her patellar tendon playing soccer last Thursday night. :-( Her mom came from St. Louis and has been cooking, cleaning, and spoiling us taking care of usher all week. She is seriously one of the nicest people ever...she mowed my lawn, cleaned my windows, swept the floors....I could get used to this life, people.

I DID finally get a chance to make a new recipe last night. I saw this recipe on Erica's blog for Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup. Um...I love both. So I had to try!


(*Side note - anytime I type "pumpkin" - which is often lately - I type "pumpking"....because obviously my fingers don't like words that just end in "in" and not "ing." Anyone else do this? Moving on.)

Well, in my absent-mindedness, I grabbed this instead of canned pumpkin:

Whoops!

Who knew they sold pumpkin pie mix in a can, anyway?

It was sweeter than it probably should've been, but who am I to waste food? And seriously, this was one of the best soups I've ever had...and I've had a lot! Kind of tasted like dessert for dinner. But with black beans and diced tomatoes. I'm interested to see how it tastes with just the regular ole' pumpkin.


Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup with a side of the Integumentary System

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! I'm having my niece and nephew to spend the night tonight...then going to my first Colts game of the season!! I'm praying for good weather on Sunday so the roof will be open. Ahhh - I love my boys in blue! (or white....well, whatever).


Check out these AMAZING giveaways!

- Run to the Finish's Nutrition/Energy Bar Giveaway!

- Dori's Core Fusion and Physique 57 DVD Giveaway!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've totally done that before --- and then said the same thing about not even knowing they sold pumpkin pie "mix" haha too funny! Glad it all worked out in the end though :)

Fitzalan said...

Holy yum! I too love anything pumpkin!

Tell your roommate my heart breaks for her a little bit. As you obviously know, I know the pains of blowing out the knee. And she is obviously an athlete too. She has a long road in front of her but it definitely is something you can come back from.

Have a good time at the game!

Happiness Awaits

Missy said...

Yum that looks so good! Now I will be extra careful when I buy canned pumpkin!!

Christie @ Honoring Health said...

Pumpkin black bean soup sounds delicious! I haven't been able to find canned pumpkin, though :(

Anonymous said...

Yikes- is your roommate okay?..

A few people have picked up pie filling instead of regular! Is it just pumpkin mixed with spices?.. I can't get ANY pumpkin here anymore. Sad times :(

Emily said...

I think that happens quite often to grap the pumpkin(g) pie mix instead of regular pumpkin(g), easy mistake!! At least it worked out!! :) The soup sounds like something I would LOVE!

Can I just say your posts are so adorable??!! We would totally hang out if we lived near each other!! ;)

Have a great weekend Holly!! :)

Anonymous said...

I've bought that by accident too. I'm glad you're back to blogging; I wondered where you went.

The Purple Carrot said...

Mmmm, I definitely need to try that soup too!

Special K said...

I love this soup...one standy I do is sauted onions with garlic and sweated with paprika and a bit of cayenne...add in veggie brot, can of pumpkin, and simmer 20...add can of white beans and one sliced apple for 10 more, medium low heat...serve with dollops of yogurt and a little agave on top!

Nicole said...

Ive missed you! Glad you got 'mommy' pampered... personally i think its the best!!! have a good weekend and i hope your roomie is dealing ok :)

Erica said...

ahhhhhhhhh! SO glad you liked the soup. When I was done with my bowl....I almost licked it haha.

I am thinking about running a half! I have a 10 miler I am considering doing in November first. We shall see!!

Paige@ Running Around Normal said...

Doh! Oh well, just a little sweeter than intended, right? I hope your roomie feels better!

RunToTheFinish said...

I was in teh middle of baking cookies yesterday and realized I had no eggs...yup I am a kitchen idiot, but hey you make it work!