CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I’m sorry, but….I AM lovin’ it.


I remember a time, not too long ago, when I gave up McDonald’s. I practically grew up on it as a kid, and I gave it up completely when my eating disorder first began. Fries? Eeeek! Hamburgers? Sick! And Ice Cream Sundaes? (oh, how I love you now…please forgive me.) – NO thank you!

Cut to several years later, when a newly graduated, poor Catholic school teacher needed a meal quickly. A CHEAP meal. A cheap HEALTHY meal. Impossible, you say? As I perused the internet looking at the nutritional facts for different fast food places, I saw that the McD’s hamburger was only 250 calories. And the yogurt parfait was only 130 calories. I was intrigued. The best part? Only two bucks for the whole meal!

Now, I know what they say about McDonald’s meat. But desperate times, people. :-) And I can’t believe I’m saying this, but…I actually like their hamburgers! They are just the right size, and those ONIONS? Normally I hate onions, but those little, tiny onions are just right. And don’t EVEN get me started on the $1 yogurt parfait. I now get it every morning (*sliding down in my chair*) for breakfast, because it is cheaper than what I normally get at the grocery store for breakfast (Breakstone’s Cottage Cheese Doubles – love ‘em!).

I know. I’m a former McDonald’s hater, too. And I know my body after death will stay preserved by itself because of all the additives I’m consuming (okay...that myth was about Twinkies).

But it’s okay to have one guilty pleasure…right? (Well, I have more than one, but we won't go there right now).

12 comments:

Kristen Mullane said...

I'm with you! I haven't had one of their yogurt parfaits in awhile, but I do like them. And there's something about McDonald's salty, soft, fast food that I'll always have cravings for.

It's dangerous territory though, because I'd go to McD's often when I was using my behaviors a lot. It's hard to find that happy medium!

I'm also a Taco Bell fan, but not as much as McD's.

Erica said...

I feel for you, my sister is a teacher and I hate how low she is paid! That yogurt parfaits is quite yummy although the thickness of the yogurt does scare me a bit ;)

carla said...

uh oh.
Im so with you and have a few parfaits a week.

please to not judge.

:)

Holly said...

Kristen - I am SO glad I'm not the only one. :-) I do know what you mean...it's a slippery slope. I love their ice cream, but it reminds me of their McFlurry's which I used to binge on quite frequently. So I TRY to just stick to meals/snacks there....

Erica - is thick bad? :-) I have been thinking of making it on my own...just buying vanilla yogurt and getting frozen strawberries/blueberries. At least I'll know where everything came from!

Miz - I feel a BILLION times better knowing you like them, too! I think they are so good, I'd *almost* rather have them than ice cream.

Unknown said...

those parfaits are AMAZING! so are the little ice cream cones.... :D
and about the apple question, i just dice it up, spray it with pam and sprinkle cinnamon on it and microwave for 2 minutes. "baked" apple :D and it does make a lovely air freshener!

carla said...

loved your catholic guilt remark from yesterday...just when I thought WE JEWS had the market cornered ;)

Holly said...

Gina - I LOVE their ice cream cones, too! They are just the right size - I can't keep ice cream in my house because it would be gone in 3 days. :-( Thanks for the apple info...I am SO EXCITED to try it!

Miz - Hahaha!!! I'm glad I'm not alone in feelin' the guilt. I TELL myself it's good and it's kept me out of trouble, but that's not always necessarily true. ;-)

GroundedFitness said...

preaching to the chior. I LOVE their hamburgers. whenever my boy goes i always ask him to pick me up a "baby hamburger." they are tiny and just enough cure the craving.

I also get egg mcmuffins sometimes for breakfast when im running late. and their coffee is WAY better than starbucks. i dontdo it often, but when i do, i dont feel one bit guilty about it

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Charlie Hills said...

I'm definitely a McFan. I only make it a couple times a year, but I won't apologize for it!

Kristen Mullane said...

gina, I do the same thing with the apple! I'll even squirt a little bit of honey on it for a touch of sweetness. And now that I'm thinking about it, another option could be some Cool Whip Free to top it off...mmm getting hungry!

WeightingGame said...

when they were first introduced, the yogurt parfaits were HUGE - at least twice as big as the current $1 ones - and SO SO good. I would just dig in and enjoy the sweet creamy perfection. Now I usually just get two everytime I'm flying and take them on the the airplane with me - perfect snack and they stay cold for a while.

Holly said...

Kelly - exactly...it IS a baby hamburger! I've heard their egg McM's are really good, too. I love eggs and I LOVE muffins, so...

Charlie - you are good. I make it more than a couple times/WEEK. But I (try not to) apologize for it, either!

Kristen - I have to go get some honey...that sounds AMAZING.

WeightingGame - I remember that! I think that was in my pre-YP days. I will keep that in mind for flying days. After all, finding a McD's in an airport is like finding a pair of skinny jeans in Abercrombie.